Friday, June 3, 2016

Book Review: CHICAGHOSTS#1: GONE GORILLA By Robert W. Walker

Let me get this out of the way first: I am a huge Robert W. Walker fan. Ever since I stumbled upon a paperback copy of the superbly entertaining thriller Cutting Edge (the first in the Edge series featuring the incomparable detective Lucas Stonecoat), I've read every Robert W. Walker book I could find. I am somewhat in awe of Walker - who has written a countless number of novels, novellas, and short story collections - mainly because of his seemingly tireless ability to produce book after book of quality genre fiction (thrillers, horror, mysteries, historical fiction...), some of which, in my humble opinion, are landmarks of the mid-list market, like the superb and superbly entertaining Vampire Dreams (a.k.a Curse of The Vampire), one of the best horror-action novels ever written, and the aforementioned Cutting Edge.

When you buy a Robert W. Walker book you know what you are getting: smooth prose, tight plots, memorable characters, and oodles of entertainment.

And that brings me to Walker's latest, a short novel called Chicaghosts#1: Gone Gorilla (available to buy as an e-book on June 21, 2016), a fun, funny, light thriller, that's highly readable and, well, oodles of fun! It revolves around a stolen stuffed gorilla, a musty museum full of secrets, a spellcaster out for revenge, and the team of retired detectives, who call themselves "The Old Farts Squad", that takes on the case. It's a super-breezy read, with Walker obviously having a whale of a time. The story isn't that original, but what makes it fresh is Walker's emphasis on comedy, with the snappy dialogue containing some real zingers. Add to that prose so smooth it practically reads itself, and a surprising and welcome appearance by vampire-hunter/archaeologist Abraham Stroud (the protagonist of Walker's fantastic series Bloodscreams), and you got one helluva of an enjoyable read.

A must for fans of Preston and Child's Relic, Golden Age pulp fiction, and anyone looking for a short, fun read.

Can't wait for the sequel, tentatively titled Chicaghosts#2: The Monster Pit!

Text © Ahmed Khalifa. 2016.

11 comments:

  1. I am just about made speechless by your review, Ahmed. I am a teacher, however, so I need my voice. Truly, seriously, honored and humbled at same time. I love my readers and my recviewers! They are golden and none more so than you! Two sequels in the works, and one to follow soon. But if you cannot wait, let me know! I owe ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, both personal and astute. Also a fan who has three Walker's waiting on her Kindle for time to read - looks as if I'll be adding another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Irene. Glad you like the review. Like you, I also have a number of Walker's books on my to read list :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently at work on a new seagoing adventure thriller, Death Dive to the Andrea Doria. Keeping ever busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck with your works in progress, Robert. I look forward to reading them all :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks - Gone Gorilla out on the 21st...up for pre-orders now. Need more pre-orders for my ego.

      Delete
  5. I have not read any of Mr. Walker's literary works, but this review alone has inspired me to want to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read any of Mr. Walker's literary works, but this review alone has inspired me to want to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any questions from readers and other here, please ask. If there are any newbies to publishing and writing do find my how-to for the dysfunctional writer in us all -- DEAD on WRITING in audible.com and kindle ebook formats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahmed -- I hate to ask you a favor after all you have done here with this wonderful review, but as yet, there are no reviews for the book on Amazon where most people go to check it out. I wonder if I could prevail upon you to place up your keenly sharp incisive words there... If it is of no inconvenience or does not go against your principles. Thanks for considering same. -- Rob

    ReplyDelete